How to wear your summer wardrobe in Autumn.
Wearing colourful tights.
Beginners Guide to Coloured Tights.
I am sad to say goodbye to the Summer, in Ernest (haha I mean earnest) this time.
The leaves are definitely turning brown and the apples on the tree are bright red and ready for eating.
Despite these obvious hints for me to grab a jumper, I (stubbornly) still want to try and get a few more wears from some of my, hardly worn, summer clothes.
Do you feel the same about some of your pretty dresses or skirts?
I think that this is because Summer clothes don’t get a fair crack of the whip here.
I buy them in hopeful anticipation, and they only see the light of day once or twice (if I am lucky).
I decided it was time to be inventive.
I love this bright dress, it has a twirly skirt and POCKETS!
Pockets on a dress (or skirt) are so satisfying….and very handy.
Such a great touch.
More pockets please!
I last wore it HERE to a garden party…. before the grass became a quagmire!
And, I really wanted to wear it again.
It is a substantial fabric, and lined, so it is the perfect candidate for some clever layering.
I decided to go all-out clash-tastic with these cobalt blue tights.
I know that this an extreme version of coloured tight wearing.
I appreciate that such BRIGHT colours are not for everyone, but I felt like I needed a little pick me up.
It is, honestly, impossible to be miserable in bright blue tights!
I layered a matching polo neck under my dress and grabbed my Bright Orange Coat…last seen HERE, clashing with red and blue too!
Which got me thinking about how to make more of my summer clothes work in Autumn…giving them a longer life and me more dressing options.
Try layering something under your dress:
- Fine or smooth knit polo neck.
- A collared shirt.
- A pussy bow blouse (See one layered under a Jumpsuit here)
- A long or 3/4 sleeved t-shirt….in a contrasting colour or pattern!
Of course, you can layer over your dress too:
- Chunky cardigan (like this Aran one or this Green one)
- Cashmere cardigan.
- Cropped jumper (like this one or this one)
- Knitted Waistcoat / Vest (like this one or this one)
- Shrunken fit Denim Jacket or waistcoat (like this)
Scarves always work well:
- Long skinny scarves
- Soft fine Cashmere (or cashmere effect) wraps.
- fine knit Ponchos
Why not add some Autumnal shoes to contrast with your feminine dress?
- Chunky shoes (like Geek ones)
- Cut out boots (like these)
- Booties (like these ones)
- Brogues (love these)
- Ankle boots (try coloured ones)
Autumn themed touches, with accessories, are always fun…I wore my Oak leaves necklace.
Now on to the tights….
The basic principles are the same whatever colour you choose:
- Chose an opaque tight…opaques are more modern and look much fresher, they are also much warmer than sheers. Don’t get me started on barely black tights!!
- Always spend as much as you can afford, I am all for a bargain (£3 French Connection playsuit, anyone?) but believe me when I tell you that bargain tights are never a bargain. Cheap and shiny with an uneven stretch that looks odd on the leg. They ruin the rest of your outfit. Invest in some decent hosiery, your legs will thank you for it …and so will the rest of your outfit.
- Try something other than black, it can look surprisingly chic and elegant.
“Entry level” colours include:
- Deep Ink Blue
- Midnight Purple
- Dark chocolate Brown
- French Navy
Intermediate colours (go on, be brave):
- Bottle Green
- Petrol Blue
- Dark Rust
Advanced (not for the faint hearted) take a deep breath:
- Bright Purple
- Dark red
Think about complementing your summer dress instead of being too matchy, matchy.
I went for a clash here (picking out the blue birds on the dress)
But you could be much more subtle…for example:
- Olive coloured dress? Try petrol blue or midnight purple tights
- Cream dress? Try dark green or plum tights.
- Red dress? Try camel, charcoal or dark brown tights
- Navy dress? Try dark grey or fuchsia (looks amazing!)
- Grey dress? Try orange or rust tights (or vice versa)
Experiment, have fun…don’t take any of it too seriously.
You won’t please everyone with your style choices..but who cares, just please yourself!
One persons hideous-faux-pax is the next persons stylishly-individual and fabulous.
I thought I would leave you with some silly shots of me…after rushing out to catch some decent light and almost falling on my bum in the process!
Notice my bag that I just can’t seem to put down these days. I have other bags, honestly.
Do you have any favourite colour combinations?
Do you want to be more adventurous with your choices this Autumn/Winter?
Or do you prefer the safety of black?
Please let me know…I love reading your comments.